Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Introduction to my love of plants and trying to grow lavender from seeds.

I have been into growing different plants lately, firstly because I like the fact that I can see it growing day-by-day, and secondly I find gardening very therapeutic. However, since my dad "owns" the garden so ultimately my gardening skills can only stretch as far as my bedroom, but nevertheless I still enjoy having some green living stuffs in my bedroom to keep me company.

I must confessed I have killed quite a few plants in the past either by giving it too many loves (i.e. overwatering them in most cases), not watering when it's needed to and also not giving it the ideal growing environment (my bedroom faces North, hence hardly any sunshine!), but looking on the bright side at least I felt I have learnt from my mistakes (I hope!).

My current "babies" in the bedroom is a Parlour Palm and Peace Lily that I bought from B&Q 2 years ago. The reason for choosing these 2 plants was because I've read that they can survive in partial sun, so will be perfect for my dark bedroom. Sadly enough my Peace Lily never bloomed again after the flowers died shortly after taking it home, however I blamed myself as I hardly ever mists it, which I know it loves! I have noticed that it really does not like the sun as the leaves turns into a paler green when it's placed near the windowsill whereas it has a more deeper green colour when I moved it to a darker space! Well, it's now back on the windowsill because my room is turning into a mess, but I'm hoping to find it a better space to settle soon!

Anyway fast forward to the present, I tried to grow lavender from seeds. I placed the seeds into the soil and left it on my windowsill hoping it will be okay, however the sprouts seems thin and weak, so my conclusion is there is not enough light! I have now moved it to where I work where the window is south-facing do hopefully the sprouts will turn stronger.

Here's a picture of it so far. Any suggestions welcome. You may also share your planting experiences along with some tips =)

Mary xx

No comments:

Post a Comment