Using mayonnaise (the edible ones you put in salads) as a hair treatment is not new. If you type it in search engine you be guaranteed there are millions of posts and videos on how to use it, along with reviews and opinions on its effectiveness.
I've tried using it in the past before, in fact I first tried it more than 10 years ago when my hair didn't really need to use any treatments on it as it was already healthy enough, but being an adolescent, I spent most of my pocket money on face masks, face creams and hair treatments thinking its necessary in order to look pretty!
Anyway, I did use the mayonnaise for a short while, even managing to finished the medium size jar that I placed on my desk in the bedroom so no one will use it for eating, not because I'm selfish, but because it has been contaminated by my not-too-sure-if it's-clean fingers scooping out the products to rub into my hair, hence don't want to poison my dear family. I did alternate it sometime with just rubbing eggs on my hair, but I found the smell of the mayonnaise more bearable than the raw eggs.
Back then I didn't noticed much difference in my hair (maybe because it wasn't even damaged in the first place), but looking back at the photos of me taken around that time, I noticed that my hair very glossy and shiny. Funny enough I never continued with the treatment for long, the likely reason will probably be I got sucked into believing the high-end brands hair treatment are way better (and thinking back, are 100x more pricier) than a jar of mayonnaise or egg treatments.
Fast forward to present day, I've started to incorporate more "natural" products in my everyday life because my health has deteriorate badly for the past few years, mainly my skin and many people believed that commercial/synthetic chemicals are to be blamed and swears by natural products in improving their health. I got diagnosed to have autoimmune disease few years ago and it has made my skin very itchy and dry. I saw many doctors, both through NHS and private, even went as far as going to Hong Kong to see those Chinese doctors, but nothing helped. I got given steroid creams and steroid tablets that totally ruined my body and made me gained more than 2 stones, going up 2 dress sizes because it has increased my appetite a lot (I wasn't warned about it and my dad thought my eating habit was unusual), and nothing has helped improved it. All the doctors ever says is to make sure I stopped scratching (easier said than done)! Therefore I want to try using natural products in case I might be allergy to some of the chemicals used in body products.
I've mentioned using coconut oil in my previous post. The result seems fine, hair was more glossy, however I have recently dyed my hair and want to see what other DIY masks is good. I came across the mayonnaise mask again whilst googling on the net and remembered it has made my hair glossy and shiny so I thought I try it again today.
Method:
Just rub mayonnaise onto dry hair and massage it into the scalp if your hair and scalp is dry. (Only massage it into the mid length and ends if your hair tends to be oily). Cover hair with shower cap if you have one and leave for minimum one hour then wash out the product with shampoo TWICE, use conditioner as well if you feel you need to. You can leave it overnight if you want. I prefer to leave it overnight and wash it out the next day to maximise the benefit but its personal preference.
WARNING: Only use enough to cover hair and not drench it with too much products. I've made a mistake today by piling too much products on my hair before taking a shower. Afterward when I finished moisturising my skin I noticed there were oil dripping out of the shower cap onto my neck. I try rubbing the oil onto my skin like massage oil, even wiping it off with a towel but after a minute or two I noticed there's still oil running down, so be warned!
Let me know if you tried the mayonnaise mask and what's your opinion on it.
M xx
No comments:
Post a Comment